Sunday, June 17, 2012

School as a Video Game

I'll admit that I am not a huge fan of video games; I did love my Nintendo, and I rocked at Super Mario Brothers, but I guess I'm showing my age here, huh?  However, this article that draws a comparison between schools and video games definitely caught my eye.

I happen to agree with the author that as educators, we need to "steal" some gaming ideas.  One idea that he put in my mind is that it doesn't make sense to hold kids back just because they haven't mastered a concept; instead, as in a video game, we should allow them to keep playing, keep practicing, and move around the level at their own pace.  In this way, we need to individualize learning. 

I think this is hard to do in most classrooms, but I'm excited to try to embrace the concept next year.  I will be teaching two blended classes, and I think it will be easier to do in that environment.  I hope I am right!

1 comment:

  1. I too posted on this article and believe that we can take some ideas from video games and incorporate them in our classroom. Video games are often what students are concerned with, so why not tap into their interests and likes.

    ReplyDelete