Monday, June 18, 2012

Social Justice

In the article, "Teaching Students to Stand Up and Speak Out", the blogger gives many good reasons why we should educate kids to act beyond the classroom walls.  I completely agree that there are many social problems in this world, especially the one written about--poverty.  However, I am not positive that the suggested "lessons" will work in helping kids to make a difference on their own.  Many students may still see it as "just" a school project.  I know many of my students are very involved in the community through Key Club, Student Government, NHS, and their various churches.  I know many others simply don't care!  I am not sure that we will be able to "teach" morality to our students by the time they reach high school.  I do think, however, that if this were started in the early elementary grades and continued all the way through high school, we could start to see a difference in how many of our students take on social problems and do something about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment